What is a Linux OS Distribution
- Linux Distribution also called as Linux Distro.
- There are many different versions of Linux, and unlike other commercial operating systems that are controlled, distributed and supported by only one company, the core of Linux is free to distribute and use.
- We are all know about Linux OS is Open source and Free Use.It is used by programmers, organizations, profit and non-profit companies around the world in order to create Operating systems to suit their individual requirements.
- To prevent hacking attempts, many organizations keep their Linux operating systems private. Many others, make their variations of Linux available publicly so the whole world can benefit at large. These versions/ types /kinds of Linux operating system are called Distributions.
- A Linux distribution is a collection of software applications built on top of the Linux kernel and operating system. There are many variations between distributions, as each strives to provide a unique user experience.
History Of Linux
The History of Linux began in 1991 with the commencement of a personal project by a Finnish student, Linus Torvalds, to create a new operating system kernel.
Since then, the resulting Linux kernel has been marked by constant growth throughout its history. Since the initial release of its source code in 1991, it has grown from a small number of C files under a license prohibiting commercial distribution to its state in 2009 of over 370 megabytes of source under the GNU General Public License. Linux OS Distribution
Linus Benedict Torvalds born December 28, 1969 in Helsinki, Finland) is a Finnish American software engineer and hacker, who was the principal force behind the development of the Linux kernel. Linus Torvalds began a project that later became the Linux kernel. It was initially a terminal emulator, which Torvalds used to access the large UNIX servers of the university.
The Open Source Initiative (OSI) is a non-profit corporation with global scope formed to educate about and advocate for the benefits of open source and to build bridges among different constituencies in the open source community.
Open source is a development method for software that harnesses the power of distributed peer review and transparency of process. The promise of open source is better quality, higher reliability, more flexibility, lower cost, and an end to predatory vendor lock-in.
One of its most important activities is as a standards body, maintaining the Open Source Definition for the good of the community. The Open Source Initiative Approved License trademark and program creates a nexus of trust around which developers, users, corporations and governments can organize open source cooperation.
There are more than 100+ Linux OS Distribution are there. Here i mentioned best Linux OS widely used in home & Industry and so on.If you complete Linux OS Distribution List click here to check Linux OS Distribution List